Friday, June 02, 2006

A Song of Praise

Today, I once again prayed over my Bible asking God to direct me to the scripture He would have me study. I opened to the 23rd Psalm. I keep some obituary clippings in my Bible at the 23rd Psalm, so I thought I'd try again. Three times my fingers felt the pages slip over them. Three times I opened to the 23rd Psalm. It is times like these when the song from the movie, "The Color Purple" starts resounding in my head, "God is trying to tell you something...."

And so it goes:

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters; He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Are you crying? I'm crying. I've memorized this Psalm from the time I was seven years old. But today, the Lord revived it in my heart and gave it new meaning.

"I shall not be in want."
I used to have a career. Salary in the 30's. Rubbing elbows with legislators. I was Somebody! I was da-da-dedah: Corporate Girl. See my cape?

I lost my job due to downsizing three years ago. I make a few dollars teaching dance classes here and there now. My husband's check is so minimal because of outrageous child support, that we should be hungry all the time. Our clothes should be thread-bare. We shouldn't be able to afford gas! I've gone from job to job, each time being "Let Go". Quite a blow to this overachiever's self-esteem. But you know what? GOD has revealed to me that He has bigger plans for me. And although I am not making a significant income, we - my family and I, are happier now than when I was making $30K a year. God provides. I shall not be in want.

"He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters; He restores my soul."
I have never been in such a state of Peace in all my life. My husband and I are solid - due only to God's hand in our marriage. My children are healthy, happy, beautiful! I'm being transformed daily through God's word. I am at PEACE! HE restores my soul!

"He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake."
I don't know if there has ever been a time in my life where the angel on my right shoulder has tackled and pinned the angel on my left. But right now, that righteous angel is standing over that bad angel with his foot on his throat. I'm not saying I don't sin, but I certainly feel guided on a path of righteousness with less temptation to stray from this path.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies."
Have you ever felt completely protected? Have you ever felt the hand of God surround you? His arms wrap around you? People, who I know want evil for my life, have been kept at bay. Each day His rod and staff guide me to this Devotional time.

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
I only need to reflect on Wednesday evening's church service when I read these words. There I was, arms wrapped around Ellen, counting my blessings while singing through overflowing tears:
I am blessed
Every day, in every way.
I am blessed. God has been so good to me.
He's never failed me; He's never let me down.
All I can say... I am blessed.

I am sooooo blessed. My children, my husband, the roof over my head, the cars in the driveway, my parents and grandparents, my friends, my church family, my finances, my health. He never fails me. He never lets me down.

"Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
What Hope. What Promise. God assures me daily that His grace is sufficient. In my Father's house there are many many rooms, and if He goes to prepare a place for me, He will come back again.

All I can say in closing today is let this Psalm really sink in for you today. Let it not be something you read at funerals, but really take all that it has to say, in.

Be Blessed!

No comments: